Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The schooners Bowdoin and Sachem III are leaving Wiscasset embarking on an expedition to the coasts of Newfoundland, Laborador, Baffin Land, and Greenland.
The Sachem was the sister ship of the Bowdoin. Historically sister ships were similarly constructed to their companion ships so if the need arose that material from one ship had to be used on the other, it easily could be. For this trip the Sachem was used to assist Commander MacMillan and carry some some of the scientists for the expedition.
About This Item
- Title: Schooners Bowdoin and Sachem III leaving Wiscasset, 1926
- Creator: Portland Press Herald , Evening Express
- Creation Date: 1926-06-19
- Subject Date: 1926-06-19
- Town: Wiscasset
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 10.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.13493
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.