Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
From left, Mary Sewall Metcalf, Maude Fisher and Marion Smith pose in foul-weather gear at the embarkation ceremonies for Donald B. MacMillan's 1926 Arctic Expedition.
The caption for a similar image that ran in the June 20, 1929 edition of the Sunday Telegram read "Women Members of Party On Way to The Far North."
The women traveled on the Sachem III, sister ship to MacMillan's Bowdoin.
About This Item
- Title: Mary Metcalf, Maude Fisher, Marion Smith, Wiscasset, 1926
- Creator: Portland Press Herald , Evening Express
- Creation Date: 1926-06-19
- Subject Date: 1926-06-19
- Town: Wiscasset
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 10.8 cm x 8.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.13507
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Arrivals & departures--Maine--Wiscasset
- Bowdoin (Ship)
- Fisher, Maude
- Group portraits
- MacMillan, Donald Baxter, 1874-1970
- Metcalf, Mrs. Rowe B.
- Sachem III (Ship)
- Sailing ships--Maine
- Smith, Marion
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.