Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's chair, Cambridge, Massachusetts, ca. 1880
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Cambridge, Massachusetts schoolchildren commissioned a chair made from the wood of the spreading chestnut tree, mentioned in Longfellow's poem The Village Blacksmith to give Henry Wadsworth Longfellow on his birthday.
The poet's nephew, William Pitt Preble Longfellow designed the chair.
- Title: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's chair, Cambridge, Massachusetts, ca. 1880
- Creation Date: circa 1880
- Subject Date: circa 1880
- Town: Cambridge
- County: Middlesex
- State: MA
- Media: Print from glass negative
- Local Code: Coll. 200, Box 2/9
- Collection: Wadsworth family glass plate negatives
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.