First Parish meeting house, Portland, ca. 1821
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This engraving shows the first church established in Portland (then Falmouth). Building for this church began in 1720 on the north corner of India and Middle streets in Portland.
This building was known as "Old Jerusalem." In 1825 a larger church was constructed near this building, but of granite, and the wooden building was taken down.