J. Monroe Dillingham to Margaret Dillingham, January 25, 1863
Contributed by Freeport Historical Society
Naval seaman John Monroe Dillingham is stationed aboard the U.S. Sloop of war Housatonic off Charleston, S.C. He talks about several incidents of Confederate ships trying to run the U.S. blockade, describing the engagements, the capture of cargo.
There are also some comments about life aboard the Housatonic.
- Title: J. Monroe Dillingham to Margaret Dillingham, January 25, 1863
- Creator: Dillingham, John Monroe
- Creation Date: 1863-01-25
- Subject Date: 1863
- Town: Charleston, Freeport, Nassau, Port Royal
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, SC
- Media: paper
- Local Code: 1863-01-25 JMD to MDD letter
- Collection: Dillingham family papers, Coll 135
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:
Freeport Historical Society
45 Main Street, Freeport, ME 04032
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
Charleston (SC)--History--Seige, 1863
Housatonic (sloop of war)
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Quaker City (gunboat)
Dilllingham, John Monroe, 1844-1864--Travel
Dillingham, Margaret Dennison, 1818-1878--Correspondence
Share what you know about this item
... Or if there's a problem with this page, tell us.
Have a similar item and want it appraised? Check our Note on Appraisals.