Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Plate of pearlware with transfer print of bridge and castle scene decoration in blue from Zilpah Wadsworth's dinner set.
The set was thought to have been given to Zilpah Wadsworth on her marriage to Stephen Longfellow in 1804.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow described the "willow pattern" in the plate in his poem "Keramos."
About This Item
- Title: Plate from Zilpah Wadsworth's dinner set
- Creator: Henshall and Company, Staffordshire, England
- Creation Date: circa 1800
- Subject Date: 1804
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Porcelain
- Dimensions: 2 cm x 19 cm
- Local Code: A85-1-D
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Plates (Tableware)
- Longfellow, Zilpah Wadsworth, 1778-1851--Associated objects
- Longfellow, Stephen, 1776-1849--Marriage
- Wedding gifts
- Wadsworth-Longfellow House (Portland, Me.)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.