Spinney Creek Bridge, Eliot,1910
Eliot celebrated the Centennial of its status as a town in 1910. Formerly the second parish of Kittery, settlement of the area began in the mid1600s. By 1809 Eliot had grown to be the largest and most influential parish and petitioned the General Assembly of Massachusetts to incorporate. Granted that right, Eliot became a separate town on March 1, 1810.To mark this anniversary, the town planned weeklong festivities Aug.7 to 13,1910 and sent out invitations to all residents and former residents to attend. The welcome home route began at the Spinney Creek Bridge, which divides Eliot and Kittery.