Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This certificate was sent to Elizabeth Aageson of Portland in recognition of her donation of a telescope to the "Eyes for the Navy" campaign during World War I.
The image of the blindfolded sailor at the top of the certificate was used throughout the campaign on posters and other propaganda to encourage Americans to donate their optical and navigational equipment to the Navy.
At the end of the war, the items were returned to their original owners whenever possible.
About This Item
- Title: Eyes for the Navy Certificate of Acknowledgment, ca. 1918
- Creator: United States Department of the Navy
- Creation Date: circa 1918
- Subject Date: circa 1918
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 2003.261.008
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Aageson, Elizabeth--Correspondence
- Eyes for the Navy (Program)
- World War, 1914-1918--Social aspects--United States
- United States. Navy--Records and correspondence
- United States. Navy--Equipment & supplies
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.