Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The headstone of twenty-one soldiers who died in a local hospital. They had been captured by the British during the War of 1812 and were being taken to Boston when they died.
About This Item
- Title: Soldiers' Burying Ground, Eastern Promenade, Portland
- Creation Date: circa 1900
- Subject Date: circa 1900
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 17 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 423, Box 5/34
- Collection: R. Cutler Libby glass plate negatives
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Prisoners of war--American--Maine--Portland
- United States--History--War of 1812--Prisoners and prisons
- Tombs & sepulchral monuments--Maine--Portland
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.