Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Captain Donald Baxter MacMillan commanded a 1925 expedition to the Arctic, leaving from Wiscasset on June 20, 1925 and returning to the same port in October 1925. Accompanying the schooner Bowdoin was another ship, the Peary.
The U.S. Navy provided eight men and three amphibious planes for the expedition, all under the command of Lieutenant Richard E. Byrd, Jr.
About This Item
- Title: Capt. MacMillan's departure, Wiscasset, 1925
- Creation Date: 1925
- Subject Date: 1925
- Town: Wiscasset
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 10.2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.11062
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Arrivals & departures--Maine--Wiscasset
- Bowdoin (Schooner)
- Bowdoin College--Alumna and alumnae
- Expeditions & surveys--Arctic regions
- Macmillan, Donald Baxter (1874-)--Photographs
- Piers and wharves--Maine--Wiscasset
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.