Contributed by Colby College Special Collections
The top sword's blade is inscribed Howard Russell Hickok, U.S. Army, Springfield, Mass., and etched in filgree floral pattern. Calvary or Staff and Field Officer's sword ca. 1860.
The middle sword's blade etched with "U.S., US. Amory, Springfield, Mass." It is believed to be an 1860 infantry sword.
The bottom sword etched "Kenzie W. Walker", floral filigree, and "The Warnock Co., New York, N.Y." Calvary or Staff and Field Officer's sword ca. 1840-60.
About This Item
- Title: Civil War swords, ca. 1860
- Creator: U.S. Amory
- Creation Date: circa 1860
- Subject Date: circa 1860
- Media: metal, leather
- Local Code: Stack 4 Artifacts shelves
- Collection: Colbiana artifacts; Stack 4 Artifacts shelves
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Colby College Special Collections
5150 Mayflower Hill, Waterville, ME 04901
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Generals--United States
- Arms & armament--United States--Massachusetts--Springfield
- Daggers & swords
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Smith, Charles Henry, 1827-1865--Associated objects
- United States. Army--Equipment and supplies
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.