Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Major General Preston J. Brown (1872-1948) is on a floating biplane at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth in 1928. The plane has "U.S. Army AE27-323" written on the fuselage.
Brown, a native of Kentucky, graduate from Yale University and went to law school at the University of Virginia. He joined the Army as a private in 1894 and served during the Spanish-American and Philippine wars and World War I. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal. He remained in the Army until 1936.
About This Item
- Title: Major General Preston Brown, Fort Williams, Cape Elizabeth, 1928
- Creator: Portland Press Herald
- Creation Date: 1928
- Subject Date: 1928
- Local Name: Fort Williams
- Town: Cape Elizabeth
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 8.3 cm x 10.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.16527
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Glass Negative Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.