Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Toy Len Goon, a native of Canton, China, married Dogan Goon of Portland and came to the U.S. in 1922. She and her husband had eight children.
When he died in 1940, she continued to raise the children (the oldest of whom was 17) and operate the family laundry at Woodfords Corner, Portland.
She was named American Mother of the Year in 1952 and was honored by a parade in New York's Chinatown.
About This Item
- Title: Toy Len Goon, American Mother of the Year, 1952
- Creator: International News Photos
- Creation Date: 1952-05-10
- Subject Date: 1952-05-10
- Local Name: Woodford's Corner
- Town: New York, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, NY
- Media: Photoprint
- Dimensions: 16 cm x 22 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2080, Box 4
- Collection: Chinese-American collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.