Item Contributed by
Maine Medical Center Archives
Text by Sophia G. Mendoza
Images from Maine Medical Center Archives
Maine Medical Center, founded as Maine General Hospital, has been a fixture of Portland's West End since its construction in 1871 on Bramhall Hill. As the medical field grew in both technological and social practice, the facility of the hospital also changed. This exhibit tracks the expansion and additions to the original building as the hospital adapted to its patients' needs.
Text for the online exhibit was adapted from A Hospital for Maine: The History of Maine Medical Center by Martha Fenton, 2012.