In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

Student Exhibit: Historic Buildings on Madison Avenue in Skowhegan

Hotel Coburn
Hotel CoburnHotel Coburn on the corner of Madison Avenue and Elm Street. Pedestrian, Skowhegan Public Library, Parlin Mansion, Bethany Baptist Church and storefronts pictured in background.Item Contributed by
Skowhegan History House

Written by Kim Rutherford, 2005, a seventh grader at Skowhegan Area Middle School.

Would you like to take a tour and see some of the beautiful old buildings that used to be on Madison Avenue? A few still remain, but most have been torn down.

Hotel Coburn stood on the corner of Madison Avenue and Elm Street. Before the Hotel Coburn was built, there were three others, The Red Dragon, The Skowhegan House and The Brewster House. Unfortunately all three of these buildings burned down. After the Hotel Coburn burned, a furniture store was built in its place and currently it is the site of the Skowhegan Savings Bank Operations Center.

Bethany Baptist Church, 1901
Bethany Baptist Church, 1901Bethany Baptist Church, April 13. 1901. Corner of Madison Avenue and Pleasant Street.Item Contributed by
Skowhegan History House

The Bethany Baptist Church has been torn down and is now a parking lot.

Where the Heywood Tavern once stood there is now a auto dealership. The Morris Fruit Company building is still there, but it is vacant.

Where the Miles F. Carpenter Insurance Company is today, there used to be the Willams photography studio and the A.F. Fuller drug store.

Heywood Tavern, Skowhegan, ca. 1836
Heywood Tavern, Skowhegan, ca. 1836Item Contributed by
Skowhegan History House

Picture number 6 shows a trolley car on Water Street in the early 1900s. Number 11 is the same building shown in picture number 5. The last picture shows the intersection of Madison Avenue and Water Street and the end of the old covered bridge. Many changes have happened in our town in the last hundred years, not all of them for the better.