In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

Eastern Maine Medical Center: 1892-1920

General Hospital, Bangor, ca. 1909

General Hospital, Bangor, ca. 1909

Item 14956 info
Eastern Maine Medical Center

On January 1, 1910, the new children's ward opens with "suitable ceremonies attended by a large number." The first X-ray equipment is installed.

Nurses training is lengthened to three years: there are 25 nurses working and studying under the direction of the superintendent and two assistants curriculum includes cooking and Swedish massage.

The first medical student, Lester Adams, is appointed to work during the summer months (later, Dr. Adams will succeed Bertram Bryant and become the hospital's second pathologist).


Item 11 of 23