Meeting House, Dwelling House, Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village, ca. 1915
Item 6910 info
United Society of Shakers
The two buildings symbolize the blending of the old and the new at the Sabbathday Lake community. In contrast to the traditional Meeting House designed by Brother Moses Johnson (1752-1842) of Enfield, NH, the Dwelling House was designed by the Portland architectural firm of Fassett and Stevens and built under the supervision of George Brock also of Portland.
Groundbreaking took place on April 24, 1883 and the community ate its first meal in the 40 foot by 80 foot, five story building on Thanksgiving Day 1884.
The windmill in the background pumped water from a well to a water tower. In the foreground is the community vegetable garden.
Item 1 of 49