The Portland Sugar House, owned and operated by J.B. Brown & Company (later JB Brown & Sons), refined sugar from molasses imported from the West Indies. One of the largest refineries in the United States during the era, it was all but destroyed in the Great Fire of 1866. JB Brown & Sons quickly rebuilt the factory, but the business soon closed due to increased competition and obsolete refining methods. The Portland Sugar House was located at the corner of Maple and York Streets in Portland.
Item 2 of 7