"The small building in center carries the sign, "Skowhegan Bank". This was Skowhegan's first banking institution, established in 1825. It was moved to this building from its first location on the Island. This structure eventually housed also the Skowhegan Savings Bank.
The spire which shows is that of the Congregational Church. It was blown down sometime in the 1890's. It will be observed that the Methodist spire does not show, which indicates that this picture was taken previous to 1868, the year in which the building just mentioned was erected.
On the brick building to the left of the bank may be noted the signs, "C. B. Folsom" and "L. T. Allen". Mr. Folsom was a prominent citizen of Skowhegan, serving the town in various official capacities. Little is known of Mr. Allen.
The name "J. F. Lathrop" appears over the entrance, which undoubtedly housed a stairway to the second floor. Information is also wanting concerning him and his business. It will be noted that the sidewalk is of wood and that of a wooden plank, for the convenience of pedestrians, crosses the street from the Lathrop entrance toward the opposite corner. The street surface at that time was no more than a common highway and the walk just referred to was necessary to keep pedestrians from wading in the mud.
The old covered bridge at the right was one of several such structures which occupied this location. A considerable grade will be observed from the corner down into the bridge.
On the building at the right will be noted a sign, in large letters, "Carpets and Crockery". This store was kept by James Farwell, who was eventually succeeded by by N. C. and H. G. Kendall.
Between the bridge and the bank may be seen a building erected by the Skowhegan Village Corporation, to house its fire fighting equipment. It must have been comparitively new at the time of this picture. Just beyond it the Warren Bacon house may be seen. The land in the distance is beyond the back channel, so-called, and very likely, then or afterwards, was occupied by the residence of John Turner, a well known lumberman.
~Roland T. Patten, Custodian of Historical Views, 1929"
Henry A. Wyman Collection
Item 13 of 13