Camp Houlton was established in 1944 for the internment of prisoners of war.
It provided laborers for local farms to harvest peas, pick potatoes and other work. The prisoners were paid a dollar a day in scrip that they could spend at the post exchange, the base store, for toiletries, tobacco, chocolate, and even beer.
In the back row of this picture are prisoners of war who worked in the post exchange. Seated on chairs are American civilian employees and U.S. Army soldiers.
The only people identified in the photograph are Lt. Walter A. Nelson, sitting cross-legged in front; Paris Brown (McPherson), at left, and Ruth Palmer, seventh from left.
Item 20 of 20