Like many of the popular soldiers' memorials available after the war, this one is a standard format into which information about a particular company is printed.
War scenes dominate the top of the memorial, with peace at the bottom. The eagle and the stars and stripes shield at the top invoke the Union as do the draped flags at the bottom. Lady Liberty is at left; blind justice at right.
Co H. was mustered into service Aug. 21, 1862 by Capt. Charles G. Bartlett at Bangor. It began as the 18th Maine, then was transferred into the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery Jan 1, 1863.
The memorial shows names of members of the regiment and specifies which died during the war.
Item 15 of 15