When Brooklin was incorporated in 1849, the town had ten school districts and nine one-room schoolhouses.
In 1900, there were still nine one-room grammar school buildings throughout Brooklin with each school and school district numbered.
The little neighborhood schools made it possible for every child to walk to and from school and to go home for lunch.
Hale's Corner School (sometimes called Hale's Hill School) was one of the earliest schools, located at the intersection of High Street and what is now Route 175. That school no longer exists.
Another rural school was # 7, located on River Road. It closed in 1942; the building still stands, used for storage.
The early schools had no electricity; light came from the windows or kerosene lanterns (a potential fire hazard).
Heat would be from a wood-burning stove. Before wood was part of the town's school budget, parents would be expected to contribute wood to keep the school house warm.
Because of the lack of transportation and to save on expenses, teachers often boarded with families close to the school in which they were teaching.
Item 1 of 14