The largest pieces of preserved wood from the 1607 Popham Colony were the bottoms of the posts that supported the structures the colonists built.
The top of the stubs were often charred by fire that destroyed the buildings.
Enough of some posts remain to determine that they had been hewn to a roughly square or rectangular cross section. The bottoms were sawn flat.
The posts from the sidewalls of the storehouse were pitch pine. A ridgepole post from the north gable end was spruce.
Item 1 of 8