Civil War Monument, Lubec, ca. 1907
This postcard of the Civil War Monument in Lubec from around 1907 is a popular and often reproduced view. In 1904 Bion Moses Pike, a Lubec shipping and fish packing entrepreneur, donated this lot to the Town of Lubec and erected this monument upon it. The Knights of Pythias Hall can be seen in the background.
Located at the corner of Main and Pleasant Streets, the statue on top faces north. The legend on the north side of the pedestal reads, “1904 Lubec To her loyal sons who on land and water imperiled their lives for the union 1861 1865.” Additional war memorial monuments have been erected in subsequent decades.
View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.