Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Henry Jocelyn and Josh Scottow wrote this letter to John Leverett, Governor of Massachusetts, from Blackpoint, Sept. 13, 1676 about an Indian raid on Casco Bay.
They described French involvement in the raids, that captives were taken, and they had little chance of success if they were not given assistance by the Governor.
About This Item
- Title: Indian Raid on Casco Bay, 1676
- Creator: Henry Jocelyn
- Creation Date: 1676-09-13
- Subject Date: 1676-09-13
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. S-888 Misc. box 33/21
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Casco Bay (Me.)--History--Manuscripts--17th century
- Indians of North America--Maine--History--Manuscripts--17th century
- King Phillips War, (1675-1678)
- Leverett, John--Letters
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.