Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
President Warren Harding (1865-1923) visited Poland Spring in 1921, enjoying the recreation offered by the resort.
Harding, who was elected in 1920, died in office in 1923.
The Ricker family, owners of the resort, began operating an inn informally in 1793. They built the Wentworth Riccar Inn in 1797. By the early 20th century, the popular resort offered golfing, swimming, fresh Maine air, walking trails, horseback riding, the noted Poland Spring mineral water, and other amenities.
About This Item
- Title: President Harding, Poland Spring, 1921
- Creator: Valentine
- Creation Date: 1921-08-06
- Subject Date: 1921-08-06
- Location: Poland Spring, Androscoggin County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 448
- Collection: Prints of original post cards of Witteman Brothers Postal Card Company
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel)--Photographs
- Presidents--United States--Photographs
- Golf--Maine--Poland Spring
- Resorts--Maine--Poland Spring
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.