Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
William H. Broughton of Portland (1845-1882) enlisted in Co. D of the 16th Maine Infantry on August 14, 1862 at age 16.
He was promoted to Full Acting Sergeant in 1862, then to 2nd Lieutenant on Dec. 31, 1862, to 1st lieutenant a year later and to captain in November 1864.
He mustered out on June 5, 1865 at Arlington Heights, Virginia.
About This Item
- Title: William Broughton, Portland, ca. 1862
- Creator: A. M. McKenney, Portland
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Local Code: Coll. 135, Box 1/20
- Collection: Abner Ralph Small papers
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Cartes de visite
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Portrait photographs
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 16 (1862-1865). Company D
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.