Contributed by North Yarmouth Historical Society
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Greely Middle School. More info about student projects.
This small case contained the percussion caps Capt. Lawrence needed to fire his musket. The caps looked like tiny top hats and were filled with fulminate of mercury which, when struck by the hammer, would spark and set fire to the powder into the musket barrel. The case was likely carried by Capt. Lawrence when he was killed in battle.
About This Item
- Title: Civil War Cap Case and Caps owned by Luther Lawrence, ca. 1862
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Location: Deep Bottom, Henrico County, VA
- Media: Leather, metal
- Dimensions: 4.3 cm x 9.4 cm x 9.5 cm
- Local Code: Collection 64
- Collection: Luther Lawrence Items, Collection 64
- Object Type: Physical Object
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Lawrence, Luther, d. 1864--Associated objects
- ammunition for small arms
- Weapons and Ammunition
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
For more information about this item, contact:North Yarmouth Historical Society
10 Village Square Road , North Yarmouth, ME 04097
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.