Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Granville F. Sparrow, age 25, of Portland enlisted in Co. B of the 17th Regiment Maine Infantry Volunteers as a private on July 24, 1862. A few weeks later, he was promoted to sergeant and, by the time he left the service, he was a captain.
Sparrow's enlistment form shows that he worked as a clerk at the time of his enlistment and that he had blue eyes and dark hair.
About This Item
- Title: Volunteer enlistment form, Portland, 1862
- Creation Date: 1862-07-24
- Subject Date: 1862-07-24
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2293, Scrapbook 3
- Collection: Capt. Granville F. Sparrow Civil War collection
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Military service, Voluntary
- Recruiting and enlistment
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.