Contributed by Old Orchard Beach Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Aviator Harry M. Jones of Old Orchard Beach is sworn in as Special Messenger for the First Airplane Mail flight in Maine on October 24, 1919.
Jones (1890-1973) operated an airport and flying service at Old Orchard Beach from 1919 to 1933. The hard sand at low tide made the beach an attractive land and take-off spot for airplanes.
About This Item
- Title: First airplane mail, Old Orchard Beach, 1919
- Creation Date: 1919-10-29
- Subject Date: 1919-10-29
- Old Orchard Beach, York County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: HJScr3_p063_001
- Collection: Harry Jones Scrapbook Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Jones, Harry M., 1890-1973
- Postal service employees--Maine
- Mail trucks--1910-1920--Maine
- Postal service--Maine
- Air mail service--Maine
- Air pilots--Maine
For more information about this item, contact:Old Orchard Beach Historical Society
P.O. Box 464, Old Orchard, ME 04064
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.