Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Maine Public Utilities Commissioners voted 2-1 on June 25, 1982, to allow the nation's last hand-cranked phone system in Bryant Pond to modernize and update to a dial system. Pictured is Elden Hathaway who owned and operated the system for 30 years before selling it in 1981 to the Oxford Telephone Co. Hathaway retained ownership of the operating equipment. His children planned to sell it.
This item is in copyright. Rights and reproductions for all UPI (United Press International) images are currently managed by Getty Images. The Maine Memory Network includes this and other UPI images for educational purposes only, and cannot broker its use. For more information, please contact Getty Images Customer Support.
About This Item
- Title: Hand-cranked phones to be replaced, Bryant Pond, 1982
- Creator: UPI
- Creation Date: 1982-06-25
- Subject Date: 1982-06-25
- Location: Bryant Pond, Oxford County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1880, Box 6/6
- Collection: United Press International collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Hathaway, Elden--Photographs
- Maine. Public Utilities Commission
- Telephone industry--Maine--Bryant Pond
- Telephones--Maine--Bryant Pond
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.