Contributed by Rick Milliken through Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
Melville Milliken, who enlisted in Co. C of the 12th Maine Regiment as a corporal on Nov, 15, 1861, wrote to his parents in Scarborough during his service in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
On January 15, 1863, Melville wrote of a box sent home via Lt. Edward Pillsbury. He discussed the process of government officials inspecting the box, and how they rearranged the contents. He also described the contents, including several letters.
Later in 1863, he was promoted to sergeant.
He mentioned that Horatio Hight, who had been 1st lieutenant of Co. C but resigned shortly before this letter was written, would be delivering more letters home, and told his folks what to do with the letters if he should die during the war.
He also told his parents that he had a picture taken and wanted to look "saveage."
About This Item
- Title: Cpl. Milliken letter to parents, Louisiana, 1863
- Creator: Melville Milliken
- Creation Date: 1863-01-15
- Subject Date: 1863-01-15
- Location: Scarborough, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 15.24 cm x 10.16 cm
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Military service--1860-1870
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1862-1865)
- Scarborough (Me.)--History
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
- Milliken, Melville--correspondence
- 12th Maine Infantry
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Civil War
- Maine Historical Society
- Maine State Archives
- Scarborough Historical Society
For more information about this item, contact:Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
PO Box 156, Scarborough, ME 04070-0156
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.