Brittany Cook, Maine Historical Society, Cumberland County
- Social Studies -- Geography
- Social Studies -- History
- Environment/The Land
This lesson plan will give students in early elementary grades a foundation for identifying the recognizable animals and natural resources of Maine. In this lesson, students will learn about and identify animals and plants significant to the state, and will identify what types of environments are best suited to different types of plant and animal life. Students will have the opportunity to put their own community wildlife into a large-scale perspective.
- Students will be able to identify iconic Maine animals and plants.
- Students will be able to put Maine “state” animals and plants in the contexts of their own environments and in the ecosystem nearest the student’s school/community.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of their community environment by naming local plant and animal life.
A resource developed by Maine Historical Society with support from Jane's Trust