Brittany Cook, Maine Historical Society, Cumberland County
- Health Education & Physical Education -- Personal and Social Skills and Knowledge
- Social Studies -- History
- Living in Maine
- The Maine Character
This lesson plan will introduce students to myriad communities in Maine, past and present, through the universal lens of sports and group activities. Students will explore and understand the history of many of Maine’s recreational pastimes, what makes Maine the ideal location for some outdoor sports, and how communities have come together through team activities throughout Maine’s history.
- Students will be able to discuss how Wabanaki traditions created and influenced snowshoeing.
- Students will be able to identify and discuss how team activities are developed over time by articulating the origins and history of common recreational activities and team sports in Maine.
- Students will be able to discuss Franco-American and Scandinavian-American influence on winter sports in Maine.
- Students will create a classroom community activity that can be taught to anyone.
- Students will be able to discuss how group activities can bring communities together.
All additional resources are listed within the teacher resources at the end of the lesson plan.