Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Edwin Cromwell owned a sawmill on Westport Island. He was the contractor for a logging operation on MacMahan Island, and is shown guiding a pulp log up the loader.
Cromwell harvested the pulp wood from MacMahan Island, located off the south end of Westport Island. He floated the wood over Goose Rock Passage to Westport Island in a boom, and loaded it onto the trucks of William T. Wright from Woolwich with a loader. Pejepscot Paper Company owned the loader, and their forester, Lin Rideout, supervised the operation.
Pictured, left to right, Edwin Cromwell, Lin Rideout, Harley Wright and Bill Wright.
About This Item
- Title: Pulp Operation, Westport Island, 1957
- Creator: Maine Forest Service
- Creation Date: 1957-05-16
- Subject Date: 1957-05-16
- Town: MacMahan Island, Westport Island
- County: Lincoln, Sagadahoc
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.5 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: CromEdw.Photo.1.1957
- Collection: Edwin Cromwell Family Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Pejepscot Paper Company
- Westport Island (Me.)
- Sawmills--Maine--Westport Island
- Lumber industry--Maine--Westport Island
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.