Contributed by Westbrook Historical Society
Lt. George B. Stevens of Westbrook, serving at the 25th Maine Regiment's headquarters in Chantilly, Virginia, wrote home to his wife Jean "Jennie" Graham Stevens about day-to-day life in camp and his longing for home.
Stevens (1839-1926) enlisted in the 25th Maine Infantry Co E on September 29, 1862 and was soon promoted to 1st Lieutenant. In February 1865, he re-enlisted as a private, joining Co. H of the 30th Maine infantry. He mustered out the following August.
About This Item
- Title: Lt. George B. Stevens letter to wife, Chantilly, VA, 1863
- Creator: George Byron Stevens
- Creation Date: 1863-04-17
- Subject Date: 1863
- Chantilly, Fairfax County, VA
- Westbrook, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 19.5 cm x 25 cm
- Local Code: D$-3.1 Geo. B. Stevens 25th Maine Letters
- Collection: Geo. B. Stevens, 25th Maine, Civil War letters
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Stevens, Jean Graham--Correspondence
- Stevens, George Byron--Correspondence
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 25th (1862-1863). Company E
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military life
For more information about this item, contact:Westbrook Historical Society
426 Bridge Street, Westbrook, ME 04092
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.