Contributed by McArthur Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at University of New England.
This tenement building on the corner of Washington and Alfred Streets erupted into flames on November 23rd, 1973. The fire was reported to have started around 10:15 p.m. as a result of heating oil tanks that were exploding over time. Thanks to the assistance of one resident and 150 firemen, all 45 residents of the building were safely evacuated.
About This Item
- Title: Burning of the Washington and Alfred Street Tenement, Biddeford, 1973
- Creator: Anastasoff, George
- Creation Date: 1973-11-23
- Subject Date: 1973-11-23
- Local Name: Washington and Alfred Streets
- Town: Biddeford
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: 2519
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Biddeford (Me.)--Fire, 1973
- Tenement houses--Maine--Biddeford
- Apartment houses--Maine--Biddeford
- Fire departments--Maine--Biddeford
- Fire fighters--Maine--Biddeford
- Firefighting equipment--Maine--Biddeford
- Fire fighting--Maine--Biddeford
- Alfred Street
- Fire Engine
- Washington Street
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.