Contributed by McArthur Public Library
The fire that consumed the Diamond National lumberyard on April 20th, 1963 is what carried the embers to these two tenement buildings on Hooper Street. The fierce wind brought embers and within two hours, ensured that the two buildings were reduced to ash. Fifteen homes were destroyed on Hooper Street, leaving 142 people homeless.
About This Item
- Title: Burning of the Hooper Street Tenements, Biddeford, 1963
- Creation Date: 1963-04-20
- Subject Date: 1963-04-20
- Location: Biddeford, York County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: 1370
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Diamond National Corporation
- Apartment houses--Maine--Biddeford
- Tenement houses--Maine--Biddeford
- Biddeford (Me.)--Fire, 1963
- Diamond Match Company
For more information about this item, contact:McArthur Public Library
PO Box 346, Biddeford, ME 04005
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.