Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Josiah Perham Jr. of Hallowell wrote to his brother-in-law Kiah B. Sewall in New York City to tell him that Sewall's sister, Philenia Sewall Mitchell had died unexpectedly about two hours after giving birth to a son.
Perham, who was married to Esther Sewall, wrote that "she was not expected to die till a few minutes before she died.
Philenia Mitchell was married to John S. Mitchell of Gardiner.
About This Item
- Title: Letter concerning Philenia Mitchell's death, Hallowell, 1837
- Creator: Perham Jr., Josiah
- Creation Date: 1837-01-19
- Subject Date: 1837
- Town: Hallowell, New York
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME, NY
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20.3 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 105, Box 1/1
- Collection: Sewall family papers
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Perham, Josiah--Correspondence
- Sewall family
- Sewall, Kiah Bayley, 1807-1865--Correspondence
- Sewall, Phlenia--Death & burial
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.