Contributed by Portland Water District
In 1913 the Portland Water District restricted all bodily contact with Sebago Lake within two miles of its Intake because of pollution concerns. By 1922, Indian Island, located within 3/4ths of a mile from the Intake, still had five summer cottages that were privately owned. Three of those cottages were owned by famous Broadway actors, Malcolm Williams and Florence Reed, Mary Hechter and William Roselle, and Amy Ricard and Lester Lonergan (whose summer home is pictured here).
In 1922, the Portland Water District's lake inspector issued Malcolm Williams a fine for swimming near his summer home on Indian Island. Williams contested the fine and appealed the guilty verdict. The District Trustees decided to take the three cottages by eminent domain believing that the residents would not abide by the no bodily contact law. In 1923, the taking was successful, and by 1925 the District owned Indian Island in its entirety and returned the island to its natural forested state.
About This Item
- Title: Indian Island summer cottage owned by actors Amy Ricard and Lester Lonergan, Standish, 1923
- Creator: Portland Water District
- Creation Date: 1923
- Subject Date: 1923
- Local Name: Indian Island
- Town: Standish
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 9 cm x 11.5 cm
- Collection: Small Photos
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Portland Water District
225 Douglass St., Portland, ME 04104
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Williams, Malcolm--Trials, litigation, etc.
- Williams, Malcolm--Homes and haunts--Maine--Standish
- Sebago Lake (Me.)
- Vacation houses--Maine--Standish
- Summer houses--Maine--Standish
- Hechter, Mary--Homes and haunts--Maine--Standish
- Roselle, William--Homes and haunts--Maine--Standish
- Lonergan, Lester, 1869-1931--Homes and haunts--Maine--Standish
- Ricard, Amy--Homes and haunts--Maine--Standish
- Eminent domain--Maine
- Portland Water District (Me.)
- Indian Island (Standish, Me.)
- Reed, Florence, 1883-1967--Homes and haunts--Maine--Standish
- Artist colonies--Maine--Standish
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.