Contributed by Cary Memorial Library in Wayne
This bookplate is part of a collection assembled by Elizabeth Mast Hyatt in the 1920s and 1930s to honor famed opera and concert singer Annie Louise Cary (1841-1921), who was born in Wayne. A library was built in the town in 1938 and named the Cary Memorial Library. Hyatt later donated the bookplate collection to the library.
Walter M. Aikman was a noted artist and bookplate designer, who created a bookplate for Hyatt herself in 1912. This design for Aikman's own bookplate shows a landscape with a pond, swan and human figure surrounded by an elaborate frame. The Latin inscription "Sub Robore Virtus" translates as "Virtue Under Strength."
About This Item
- Title: Walter M. Aikman bookplate, 1914
- Creator: Aikman, Walter M.
- Creation Date: 1914
- Subject Date: 1914
- Town: Wayne
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 15.2 cm x 9.6 cm
- Local Code: B (Box)
- Collection: Bookplate collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Hyatt, Elizabeth Mast--Books and reading
- Hyatt, Elizabeth Mast--Associated objects
- Cary, Annie Louise, 1842-1921
- Aikman, Walter M., 1857-1939--Associated objects
- Aikman, Walter M.--Books and reading
For more information about this item, contact:Cary Memorial Library in Wayne
17 Old Winthrop Road, Wayne, ME 04284
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.