Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Biplane and pilots are surrounded by a crowd at Old Orchard Beach.
In August of 1924 Captain Harry Jones, a World War I flight instructor, organized the first Maine Air Show in Old Orchard Beach, with the sponsorship of the American Legion Post 57. This photograph taken during the 2nd annual Old Orchard Air Show features Lieut. S. M. Connell (far left), Lieut. A. B. Pitts (second from left), Lieut. A. V. Macauley (third from left), Lieut. Brandt (third from right), Lieut. B. B. Watson (second from right), and Lieut. H. I. Brunelli (far right).
About This Item
- Title: Biplane and pilots, Old Orchard Beach, ca. 1924
- Creation Date: 1924
- Subject Date: 1924
- Town: Old Orchard Beach
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 8.3 cm x 10.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.9417
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Aeronautics--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Air pilots--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Air shows--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Airplanes--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Biplanes--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
- Flight--Maine--Old Orchard Beach
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.