Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Pvt. John E. Stewart of Columbia was 23 when he enlisted in Co. G of the 6th Maine Infantry in July 1861. Many members of the 6th Maine were from Washington County.
Stewart wrote frequently to Samantha Leighton -- his future wife. The end of this letter is missing.
Stewart discussed being on guard duty in the cold weather -- and being homesick. He also wrote about the possibility of England aiding the Confederacy.
About This Item
- Title: Pvt. John Stewart letter from Lewinsville, VA, 1861
- Creator: Stewart, John E.
- Creation Date: 1861
- Subject Date: 1861
- Town: Lewinsville
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. S-7336, Misc. Box 255/9
- Collection: John E. Stewart correspondence to Samantha Leighton
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Military life--Virginia--Lewinsville
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.