Contributed by Maine Historical Society
This UPI photograph caption reads, "Indian attorney Thomas N. Turreen is surrounded by Maine Indian Leaders hearing the state's case for accepting their long-awaited settlement to claims of 12.5 million acres of Maine land."
Pictured are, second row from left, Jim Sappier, Tom Tureen and Tim Love and bottom row, from left, Carl Nicholas, George Stevens, and Albert Dana.
About This Item
- Title: Indian Land Claims settlement, 1980
- Creator: United Press International
- Creation Date: 1980-03-28
- Subject Date: 1980-03-28
- Town: Augusta
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Photoprint
- Dimensions: 19 cm x 26 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1880, Box 2/3
- Collection: United Press International collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Indian Land Claims settlement (Maine)
- Indian land transfers--Maine
- Indians of North America--Maine--Claims
- Indians of North America--Maine--Government relations
- Malecite Indians--Land tenure
- Passamaquoddy Indians--Land tenure
- Penobscot Indians--Land tenure
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.