Contributed by Freeport Historical Society
The Cruiser, Freeport, January 20, 1859, vol. 1 no. 1.
The hand-written newspaper was prepared by a church group for passing around the small shipbuilding community of South Freeport.
Eight issues were prepared on a semi-monthly basis, and six of these belong to Freeport Historical Society.
Issues include some shipping news, some illustrations, a few advertisements, stories, poems, essays, math problems & word puzzles. Some articles were written under pseudonyms.
Issue No. 8 mentions that the group was suspending operation for the "season;" apparently they never resumed production.
About This Item
- Title: The Cruiser, Freeport, January 1859
- Creator: South Freeport Mutual Improvement Society
- Creation Date: 1859-01-20
- Subject Date: 1859
- Town: Freeport, South Freeport
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: paper
- Dimensions: 51 cm x 26 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 130
- Collection: The Cruiser, Coll. 130
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Freeport Historical Society
45 Main Street, Freeport, ME 04032
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Shipping--South Freeport (Me).
- South Freeport Mutual Improvement Society--Publications
- Freeport (Me.)--History--19th century
- Newspapers--Maine--South Freeport
- Local history
- Manners and customs
- Math puzzles South Freeport (Me).
- Ship carving
- Shipping list
- Word puzzles
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.