Contributed by Stanley Museum
A group of gentlemen take part in a spirited foot race to the delight of their Squirrel Island neighbors, August 27, 1910.
Races such as this were held every summer during Fete Week, a late August celebration organized by the summer community on Squirrel Island.
The bearded man pulling away from the other runners is F.E. Stanley, of Stanley Steamer fame. Mr. Stanley, who would have been in his early 60s here, was a fine athlete and a notable sprinter in his youth.
About This Item
- Title: Married Men's Race, Squirrel Island, 1910
- Creator: McDougall & Keefe
- Creation Date: 1910-08-27
- Subject Date: 1910-08-27
- Location: Southport, Lincoln County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 8.5 cm x 13.5 cm
- Local Code: PC 1 #2
- Collection: Raymond W. Stanley Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Fete Week (Southport, Squirrel Island, Me.)--Photographs
- Festivals and fairs--Maine--Southport--Squirrel Island
- Races--Maine--Southport--Squirrel Island
For more information about this item, contact:Stanley Museum
street: 40 School Street, mailing: PO BOX 77, Kingfield, ME 04947
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.