Contributed by Freeport Historical Society
The Cruiser, Freeport, February 12, 1859, vol. 1 no. 3.
The hand-written newspaper was prepared by a church group for passing around the small shipbuilding community of South Freeport. Eight issues were prepared on a semi-monthly basis.
Issues include some shipping news, some illustrations, a few advertisements, stories, poems, essays, math problems and word puzzles. Some articles are written under pseudonyms. Issue No. 8 mentions that the group was suspending operation for the "season;" apparently they never resumed production.
About This Item
- Title: The Cruiser, Freeport, February 1859
- Creator: South Freeport Mutual Improvement Society
- Creation Date: 1859-02-12
- Subject Date: 1859
- Town: Freeport, South Freeport
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Paper
- Dimensions: 51 cm x 26 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 130
- Collection: The Cruiser, Coll. 130
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- South Freeport Mutual Improvement Society--Publications
- Newspapers--Maine--South Freeport
- Freeport (Me.)--History--19th century
- Shipping--South Freeport (Me).
For more information about this item, contact:Freeport Historical Society
45 Main Street, Freeport, ME 04032
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.