Contributed by Norway Historical Society
Corp. Joseph Walker sent his mother, Mrs. Arthur Walker, a letter containing the words "Thinking of you on Mother's Day." He sent this through V-mail from his base in San Francisco, California to Norway on April 28, 1944.
V-Mail was used for sending lightweight letters overseas or across the country during wartime. The V in V-mail stands for "victory." Notice on the front bottom the three dots and dash: That is the Morse code for the letter "V.'"
About This Item
- Title: Mother's day V-mail from Joseph Walker, San Francisco, 1944
- Creator: Walker, Joseph
- Creation Date: 1944-04-28
- Subject Date: 1944-04-30
- Town: Norway, San Francisco
- County: Oxford
- State: CA, ME
- Media: Ink and pencil on paper
- Dimensions: 25.7 cm x 20.5 cm
- Collection: WWII Collections
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--V-mail
- Walker, Mrs. Arthur--Correspondence--V-mail
- Walker, Joseph--Correspondence--V-mail
- Mother's Day
- letterMrs. Arthur Walker
- mother's day
- U.S. Government Printing Office
- victory mail
For more information about this item, contact:Norway Historical Society
471 Main Street, Norway, ME 04268
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.