Contributed by Skowhegan History House
- Item 9066
- print page
- download web image
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Note the Methodist Church, as evidenced by the spire. On the bank is, "First National Bank" and "Skowhegan Savings Bank."
On the brick store the sign, "Emery & Turner," has replaced those of Mr. Folsom and Mr. Allen. On the structure to the right, which was known as the Arcade Building, has appeared the sign, "Frost's Clothing Store."
One of those ancient, narrow plank foot walks has apparently been put in from the store just mentioned across toward Priest's corner. Business is apparently picking up, as there are now three teams in front of the brick store, where only one appears in the previous picture. A tree has been planted near the Frost corner. This maple grew in subsequent years to be a handsome shade tree whth wide spreading branches. It's course was finished about 1890.
~Roland T. Patten, Custodian of Historical Views, 1929"
About This Item
- Title: Water Street and Old North Channel Covered Bridge, Skowhegan, ca. 1869
- Creation Date: circa 1869
- Subject Date: circa 1869
- Location: Skowhegan, Somerset County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 9 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: 69-106-3.jpg
- Collection: Henry A. Wyman Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- First National Bank (Skowhegan, Me.)
- Covered bridges--Maine--Skowhegan
- Skowhegan (Me.)--Description and views
- Stores, Retail--Maine--Skowhegan
- Skowhegan Savings Bank (Me.)
- Old North Channel Covered Bridge (Skowhegan, Me.)--Photographs
For more information about this item, contact:Skowhegan History House
66 Elm Street, PO Box 832, Skowhegan, ME 04976
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.