Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Elizabeth Wadsworth wrote this letter to her father, Peleg Wadsworth, who was in Philadelphia, with family news and asking for a token from George Washington, who had recently died. She mentioned her father getting either a lock of hair, a sample of handwriting or music from his funeral service. The letter was written January 19, 1800.
About This Item
- Title: Letter from Elizabeth Wadsworth to her father, Peleg Wadsworth
- Creator: Wadsworth, Elizabeth
- Creation Date: 1800-01-19
- Subject Date: 1800-01-19
- Town: Philadelphia, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, PA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. S-1247, Misc. Box 5/5
- Collection: Elizabeth Wadsworth correspondence
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Wadsworth, Elizabeth, 1779-1802--Correspondence
- Wadsworth, Peleg, 1748-1928--Correspondence
- Washington, George, 1732-1799--Relics--Hair
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.